black rock city 2007 - as code
an interactive map of burning man with the theme camps placed.
the map can take up to 2 minutes to load. you
can click some of the buttons below while you wait -- after java loads.
if you have been here before you may need to do a refresh, shift-refresh,ctrl-refresh,option-refresh,
or something similar to get the newest version.
zooms of plazas + center
this map is generated from source code. nothing on this map is hand-placed,
rather a program generates an approximation of the city and places the camps.
i created this as fast as possible in about 2 days to make it useful for people
before they got to the playa.
this is a rough work, in progress. i have some things to work out:
- some camp names can overlap
- i haven't put village details in yet
- there is too much information to put in one image or pdf. hence the interactive viewer
- i had to put the plazas and center camp details separate from the main map. they are
currently placed at random
- i will be updating this site daily with your suggestions until i leave for the playa.
email me below and/or check back daily.
- don't forget to come by for pancakes. we're in plaza 9.
- 20070815 - first version for public consumption
- v1.1 - fixed clockwise-ness problem! mouse pointer is red/green now
- v1.2 - added potty camp and s,m,l,xl option. added zooms images
the source code that creates this map is released here open source.
i fully encourage people to try and make this more visually pleasing.
i am after-all more an engineer than artist :-)
you can mess with the code in one of two levels of severity:
- download and install graphviz. modify brc07ascode.dot (graph) file
and use graphviz to regenerate the svg file.
- modify the perl program brc07ascode that creates brc07ascode.dot and follow
the above step
please take this and run with it. you can use it as a viewer on your
own computer, or to try to make improvements :
- i wrote a program "brc07ascode" in Perl that creates a layout of the city based on its concentric
circles. you could use this program to easily explore possible layouts of BRC
if you so desired.
- this program also takes as input the official placement
page from bmorg
- the output of this program is a graphing language called dot. the dot file
is then fed to AT&T's graphviz program
which generates a PNG (image) and an SVG (vector graphic).
- ZGRViewer is the java applet above that displays an SVG file. Click the
[about] box above for credit.
- i made an image
version of the map, but this uses a lot of bandwidth and isn't too
- you could also try viewing the SVG file if your browser supports this
- potty camp is denoted by blue lines
- search! enter a word in the search box like "art" and hit return a bunch of times to
search through city.
- pan + zooom! drag with left mouse button to pan. use your mousewheel or Page-Up/Page-Down to zooom
- lenses! Go to the top-left of the map
- click a node with left mouse button to zoom to that node.
- you may need to install a newer java HERE.
until i find a good way to make a printable version
you can take this to the playa with you by downloading the archive.
unzip it somewhere and open index.html in a browser.
ps. you're a geek for bringing a computer to the playa. :)
see code section.
(c)2007 max baker email@example.com